Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MA Paid Family Medical Leave Withholding Ref 53781

JimS_1
Level 3

When an individual has two jobs, both jobs withheld MA PFML, and the individual earned above the social security limit in box 3 earnings across both jobs, the individual is entitled to a refund on line 49 (2022) of the MA tax return for the excess above the maximum ($506 for 2022).  

Lacerte left line 49 blank in this situation, so I overrode it by inputting the amount on Screen 3 (Massachusetts Miscellaneous) for the excess.

I get an informational diagnostic that says "An override has been entered for excess paid family leave withholding.  Please note that the program now supports the worksheet to calculate any excess.  The worksheet uses MA PFML contributions reflected on the W-2 box 14 input and any input in Taxes | Excess Paid Family and Medical Leave. (ref. #53781)"

However, it appears that Lacerte is not supporting this worksheet.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Also of note: It says on the W-2 screen that "Massachusetts wages (form W-2 box 16) are used to complete the Excess PFML worksheet".  But that's not correct - it should be SS wages, per the MA DOR.  I then tried to input the SS wages in Box 16 (typically I leave it blank), and that still didn't calculate the excess.

Curious if everyone else just calculates it and overrides.

0 Cheers