Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lacerte vs turbotax vs 2021 tax computation worksheet; same taxable income; 3 different tax amounts

MDenHartog
Level 1

218.2K taxable income (so tax tables are not a factor) and focused on tax before credits (so credits are obviously not a factor).  Does anyone have insight into why there would be three different amounts?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
MDenHartog
Level 1

Thx for your time.  Taxable income is taxable income w/qualified vs unqualified already accounted for.  I was thinking someone from Lacerte could perhaps shed some technical insight into how tax is calculated from taxable income and why the result would be different than either TurboTax or the official IRS 2021 Tax Computation Worksheet

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Most likely something is likely entered differently between the programs.  For example, if one had Qualified Dividends and the other had non-qualified Dividends, the "taxable income" would be the same but the tax would be different.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Because two (or maybe even three) of the calculations are incorrect?

Slava Ukraini!
MDenHartog
Level 1

Thx for your time.  Taxable income is taxable income w/qualified vs unqualified already accounted for.  I was thinking someone from Lacerte could perhaps shed some technical insight into how tax is calculated from taxable income and why the result would be different than either TurboTax or the official IRS 2021 Tax Computation Worksheet

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

In this forum you are asking users. If you want an answer here, or if you want to contact Lacerte Support, you need to give the whole picture. There are sooooooo many places that could cause difference this is just a skeet shooting contest now. If you would like to see some target practice, give use the full layout, such as a copy of the 1040.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I think Bill hit the nail on the head.

Have you tried the worksheet at the end of the Sch D instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf

And if there are collectibles or 1250 involved you may need one or more of the other worksheets as well.

Rick

0 Cheers