Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to e-file a FEDERAL ONLY extension without REP access?

JaniceS
Level 1

I have many corporations with state returns that I don't have access for.  In the past we've always filed paper extensions with no problems....but with the IRS running so far behind, we had numerous clients getting letters from the IRS saying they hadn't received the paper extension....even though it was mailed timely and was just delayed in their backlog.  This year we REALLY want to file all extensions electronically, but don't want to get REP access just yet for many reasons.  Does anyone know if there is any way to file a federal only corporate extension if have one or two states that require REP access?  Oh and deleting the state and adding it back in isn't an option....too much would get lost.  

THANK YOU!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

I do know that you have to REP to file an extension.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can only REP Federal if states exist. I agree deleting them would be bad, but I don't know of another workaround.

If your firm model / client demographic allows for this, consider charging for extensions to at least cover your REP fees, even if you credit the extension billing against their final bill.

Otherwise, just call the REP fees a "cost of doing business," and think of the payroll & time savings from 1) not generating & mailing paper extensions, and dealing with the resulting IRS letters.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*