Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended returns

Eisenberg
Level 1

Why is it when a return is extended, the letter changes to say taxes are not due until October 15 (or September 15 for (LLC's & S-Corp's).

All taxes are due by 3/15 or 4/15, and the extension does not change that. The taxes paid after the fact are late, and when the letter shows 9/15 or 10/15, I have to always change the letter or explain to my client that the letter is wrong.

Any ideas?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This year many types of taxes have had the payment due date moved to July 15th....I cant explain the 9/15 or 10/15 payment date though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

Did you actually file on extension on or before April 15th?  If so, then Oct 15 (individual) is correct.

If not, the 'automatic' grace period provided is July 15.

All taxes are due by 3/15 or 4/15

And no, not all taxes had to be paid by 4.15.20.  Those were also provided with the grace period to 7.15.20

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15
The taxes are actually due on 3/15 or 4/15 and extension or not that does not change. The returns are now due on 9/15 or 10/15.
That being said, there is no penalty or interest until after 7/15. Now try to explain that in the client letter.
Life is so complicated and then they add taxes to it!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

tomaTOE vs  tomaTAH.....but technically I think you are right

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"