Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESBT Issue with multiple states and non-ESBT income

Nilguhm
Level 1

I am trying to prepare a 1041.  The trust owns shares of an s corp that made an ESBT election.

The income from the ESBT is from a different state than the resident state of the trust.  The resident state has additional investment income.  I cannot seem to get the correct state income for each state.  Plus, the K-1 income from the s corp is being counted twice on the federal return when I switch to a complex trust type return.    

Anyone have any solutions or workarounds?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you have to do two  1041s in Lacerte - one for the ESBT part and one for the complex trust part. Then mush them together using overrides to get the total tax. Then paper file after you insert all of the correct pages..

Ex-AllStar
Nilguhm
Level 1

I will give that a try.  

Thanks.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Good luck. It was no fun when I had to do it years ago.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGirl3
Level 5

See Lacerte instructions here: https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/federal-taxes/electing-small-business-trust...

States can have very different tax schemes when it comes to ESBTs and you may need more than 2 files (I have a 1041 with a federal file 'S-Portion', a federal file to incorporate the ESBT tax and non-ESBT items, and a separate state file).