Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic Payment

BPCcpa
Level 1

We have two 1041 clients that were set up for electronic payments with their e-filed returns. The state payment was made timely, but the Federal payment was not. It should have been withdrawn on April 18, 2022.  It is now May 27, 2022 and no payments were made.  One received a notice from the IRS for failure to pay.  Contacting the IRS has gone no where. Is this an IRS problem or Lacerte issue?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
eas125
Level 1

We have the same problem with trust clients set up for electronic payment.  I discovered that it was only for trusts returns that were filed and accepted by IRS on March 15th.  Returns filed on all other dates are fine.

I have called the IRS and the also the US Treasury Financial Agent.  It looks like the payments (both balance due and 1Q estimated pmt) were never set up for processing.  The state payment went through fine.  I am on the phone with Lacerte trying to get more information.

0 Cheers
KenningNeelyLLC
Level 1

We have had the same issue with three trust clients.  One was a balance due with the trust.  The other two were extension payments.  All Illinois state payments were debited (and simultaneously transmitted with the Federal payments).  None of the federal payments were ever debited.  I am now looking at a notice with a $9,000 failure to pay penalty.  Did either of you ever get any response, explanation, or reimbursement from Lacerte?  This is extremely upsetting.  Mine all had 3/11/22 transmittal dates.

0 Cheers
BPCcpa
Level 1

Haven't heard anything from Lacerte - sorry.

0 Cheers
eas125
Level 1

Lacerte said it was a technical glitch - they pointed to the coding in the return where it did not process the payments.  We caught it before the due date and were able to correct the balance due and estimated payments.  

0 Cheers