Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing of extensions for expats stopped working before deadline

Drphibes
Level 7

I have about 35 out of country filers and have had to put several on extension before the 6/15/22 deadline. However, last night on my last 2 expat extension requests, I am getting a critical failure (after passing program validation) when connecting to Lacerte with the message saying "Failed Pre-submission validation.  Error 55 you are past the submission deadline for new filings"  That continues today.  There are still 2 days left to file the extension.  What gives?  I am out of the country and cannot mail a paper extension request for them.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

For the clients whose extensions failed to transmit, do you have their foreign address entered on Screen 1? That's the most common reason for the failure. You can find other items to check here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/tax-extension/file-extensions-lacerte/L6Xs3...

- Rebecca

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

For the clients whose extensions failed to transmit, do you have their foreign address entered on Screen 1? That's the most common reason for the failure. You can find other items to check here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/tax-extension/file-extensions-lacerte/L6Xs3...

- Rebecca

Drphibes
Level 7

Not having the foreign address in screen 1 was the problem.  One guy had changed it so his mom in the US would be able to get any notices, the other guy is where by the time we file the return, he will be back home in the US and had his US address in.  Just the luck of the draw that these last 2 guys were my only ones with US addresses on screen 1.  Funny, I thought just the attestation that you are out of the US on 4/15 checked would have qualified you for the extended extension filing date but apparently you must still be out of the US at the time of filing the extension.

Thanks for your help!