Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need to file an extension for form 114?

joel727
Level 2
Do you need to file an extension for form 114?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No.

For some really bizarre reason, they say the due date is April 15th, but automatically give you 6 more months.  I can't figure out why they don't just say the due date is October 15th.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No.

For some really bizarre reason, they say the due date is April 15th, but automatically give you 6 more months.  I can't figure out why they don't just say the due date is October 15th.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I suppose they don't want to confuse statutory due date with the extended deadline (like the 2-month automatic extension expats are given for filing federal return).  When the final regulations are out, they may then formalize the extension procedure.  For now, anything that helps get people with offshore accounts/assets to comply at the individual level is good with the Treasury Department, especially since FATCA doesn't seem to be working out the way the government had envisioned.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers