Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution excess of basis 1120

michele
Level 7

SCorp took a large distribution beyond basis. I know I need to report it as a capital gain on 1040. Does this bring the basis on the Scorp basis back to k to 0. We are talking several hundred thousand dollars.

I know how this happened. They had a ppp loan that was very large. Yes they used for payroll. but they had a large profit plus the nontaxable ppp so they just took the money out of the corp. What makes it look worse they did not payoff the loans. so It created this excess.

thx Michele

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Was the PPP forgiven during the tax year?  If so, that increases Basis.

michele
Level 7

yes it was . On the balance sheet shows him with -179,000 in retained earnings. but it does subtract it from the M-2 anaylis. The total from the m-2 shows a reduction of $283,000 in non taxable income..I would assume I would have to show as a capital gain on his  1040.  So in theory he has  a negative retained earnings and still 369,000in nontaxable earnings  on m-2 going forward. I don't like when they don't ask before they do this stuff. Sets you up for an audit when you are taking close to a 1,000,000 in distrubtions and not taking the kind of salary to justify this.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm not any good at helping with the balance sheet stuff, but I'm still unsure about your comment about distributions in excess of Basis. 

You seem to have said the large distributions were from (1) large profit and (2) PPP.  Both the profit and forgiven PPP increase Basis, so distributions from profit or PPP would not be in excess of Basis.

In answer to your question, yes, Basis does not go below zero and the excess distribution would be a capital gain on the 1040.  But as I mentioned above, profit and forgiven PPP increase Basis, so I'm unsure if there really was a distribution in excess of Basis.

abctax55
Level 15

"...I don't like when they don't ask before they do this stuff. Sets you up for an audit when you are taking close to a 1,000,000 in distrubtions and not taking the kind of salary to justify this."

Salary is based on the services performed/provided to the entity, based upon reasonable compensation for such services. Salary has NO direct correlation to the amount of the distributions or even to the net income of the entity.

PPP loans increase basis... make sure that amount is factored in. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
michele
Level 7

thanks for input. When you are the owner of a thriving company  when your take a distribution

10x what you are paying yourself I think you are heading down the wrong path. Everyone wants to save on their taxes but reasonable compensation is just that reasonable.

thx

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If you had a large profit, especially in a COVID year, maybe you are entitled to take a large distribution.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

And 'reasonable' compensation is just that  and it's based on *services rendered*.

It is not based directly, or even indirectly, on net income of the current year. 

$100K in distributions vs how much in salary vs hours worked vs number of employees vs capital invested?

ALL come into play to determine the 'reasonable' compensation. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"