Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependent received half of his mother's social security ($68,083.00) Is there an input for this or does he have to file his own return?

Level 1
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Level 15

That's a LOT of social security.... is it for prior years?

And if the dependent received it, under their SSN, then it goes on THEIR return.

If it is for back years, you can 'average' a lump sum distribution (see link to a recent thread below) .... but if it is for the dependent, is any of it actually taxable?


"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Level 15

And if it's all under the mother's SSN, that's called income assignment and it's all the mother's income to report.  You'd then need to determine the nature and character of the transfer from the mother to the son, whether that's a gift or something else (e.g. genuine expenses for her care or other expenses paid on her behalf).

Still an AllStar