Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charitable Contribution Adjustment Forcing Standard Deduction for State Return

Level 1

Is there a way to force the standard deduction for a federal 1040 to take the $300 adjustment to income for charitable contributions without also forcing the state return to take the standard deduction? I am preparing a federal and Kentucky return for an individual and it is better to itemize for Kentucky, but when I check the box under Cash Contributions on screen 25 or enter the amount in the next box, it forces the standard deduction for both federal and Kentucky when I only want to take the standard deduction for the federal return. The only way around it I have found so far is entering it as an additional adjustment in screen 24 without forcing the standard deduction, but that lists the adjustment on Schedule 1 instead of on Line 10b.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Level 1

I am having the same issue.

0 Cheers
Level 15

Several people have reported this issue for Kentucky.