Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot e-file a return with more than 25 other withholdings

Cpa325
Level 2

I have a client that received his RMD from 29 different funds in the same Mutual Fund Company.  Each fund reports the amount distributed and the federal income tax withheld.  All are separate lines on the same Form 1099-R.

I get the following Critical Diagnostic:

Per IRS  electronic filing specifications, returns with more than 25 other withholdings cannot be electronically filed.  This return must be filed as a conventional paper return.

Any ideas as to a way around this?  I wondered if I could just enter the totals as one 1099-R since it's the same payer, same EIN and same address.   I could then attach the 1099-R as a pdf attachment.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Cpa325
Level 2

Should I still attach the 1099-R as  pdf?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15
"All are separate lines on the same Form 1099-R." Do they each have a separate EIN?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Cpa325
Level 2

Same EIN on each line

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would just input ONE 1099R with ONE Gross, ONE FIT, ONE SIT, etc if they are all same EIN. That is like the continuation sheet on a 1099-DIV that gives how much from each stock or fund. I believe it is to be informational for the client, as they may have actually received 29 checks. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Cpa325
Level 2

Should I still attach the 1099-R as  pdf?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

There is no need to attach the 1099-R as a pdf.

You're really sure the EIN is the same for all 25? For example American Funds and T Rowe Price funds each have a different EIN.

Ex-AllStar