Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an S Corp officer with wages contribute to a SEP IRA

Wheel87
Level 1

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, based on wages, not SCorp profits.  The "1 = max" calculations and irs.gov will help you get the right amounts.  Remember that if you make employer contributions for the owner, you have to make pro-rate contributions for any other eligible employees, if any.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, based on wages, not SCorp profits.  The "1 = max" calculations and irs.gov will help you get the right amounts.  Remember that if you make employer contributions for the owner, you have to make pro-rate contributions for any other eligible employees, if any.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Actually, it is the other way around.  The corporation with an employee/officer can contribute to the employee's SEP.  So it is the corporation that is doing the contribution, not the employee/officer.

Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Agreed.  Sorry, I rushed my prior comment.  Employer contributions would go on 1120-S, any employee-level/side contributions are essentially a traditional IRA contribution and would go on the S-Corp owner's 1040.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

There's no employee contribution to a SEP.

(I'm assuming this is not a pre1986 SARSEP.)

Ex-AllStar
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Agreed. I was referring to the setup in custodian accounts. Back when I had a SEP IRA, using Vanguard, their interface showed the ability to make "EE SEP contributions." If I put any in, it used up my annual tIRA allotment.

0 Cheers