Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an amended first year 990EZ be marked both amended and initial on page 1?

accoun5
Level 4

Taxpayer made an error preparing the initial short-year 990EZ and needs to amend it.  Short-year 990EZs cannot be efile unless they are marked "initial" or "final" per Lacerte and form instructions.

Can an amended first year  short year 990EZ be marked both amended and initial on page 1 so that it can be efiled?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don’t know if it can or can’t be done but sometimes you have to live on the wild side and run with scissors.  Give it a try and see what happens.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

What happens when you try?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
accoun5
Level 4

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I haven't tried to file yet.  I'm guessing it can be done as I don't get a diagnostic saying it can't be done. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I don’t know if it can or can’t be done but sometimes you have to live on the wild side and run with scissors.  Give it a try and see what happens.

Slava Ukraini!
accoun5
Level 4

Thanks-I will see what happens. I would think it could be done. If the flipside were true, and if this was a "for-profit" entity return marked final and filed, and then if a client said the final corporate return needed amended to include a missed expense, I would think the final corporate return would need to be marked both "amended" and "final." So, since there isn't a diagnostic saying I can't mark an amended return as "initial," I think it can be done.