Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA Charitable Contribution Carryover

willatbird
Level 5

Client has a California NOL and charitable contribution carryforward from the prior year.

The NOL was not completely used, so the contribution is not deducted on the K-1. Got it. But I would expect the Contribution Carryover to then show up on the General Info. worksheet as a carryover to 2022. Do I need to be concerned that it's not there? 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

@sjrcpa California NEVER follows federal. 😉

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Very interesting. I'm in CA. Just checked my one client who has charitable contribution carryovers (although not from a K-1).  My carryovers DO show up on General Info.  I would if there are different limits on passthrough charitable contributions? I wouldn't think so.

Does the carryover show up on the worksheets of charitable contribution carryovers?

If not, I'd call Support and raise this as a software bug that needs to be fixed.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.  But good on you for watching in such detail to make sure your clients reap full tax benefits across years!

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
sjrcpa
Level 15

Did it get "converted" to part of the NOL carryover. There's a federal rule where this happens. I always have to look it up. Not sure if CA follows federal.

Ex-AllStar
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

@sjrcpa California NEVER follows federal. 😉

willatbird
Level 5

This is an SCorp. California does NOT conform here.

I may make a note in the return and just follow up next year.

mv_willows
Level 2

You enter the California Contribution Carryover on Page 44.011 in the S-Corporation.

0 Cheers
willatbird
Level 5

Thanks for responding. This message is a year old, so already deal with. I'll mark it as answered.

0 Cheers