Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquiring Firm - Merging Data

ca-torrance
Level 1

Hi Community

Hoping I can get an answer from this group. We are acquiring a firm and we both use Lacerte. I want to merge their client files with ours on our server. Its a small data set, but lots of years to merge into ours. 

Has anyone done this and have a process they can share with me? I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks! 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Back the files up on their end. Restore them on your end.

Best to have pdfs or paper copies of their returns first. Once you put them on your server they will have your firm ID. Also some items on the old returns may not match what was filed, depending on what Settings you have vs theirs. For example, depreciation calculated using IRS table vs formulas.

Ex-AllStar
ca-torrance
Level 1

Thank you... just to be clear.. back up using Lacerte's built in function or utilizing a third party (I have nightly backups of the incoming server). Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will definitely check the settings and see where we mismatch to be ready for that. Thank you again

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Use Lacerte program backup. Not Windows copy or any other third party backup.

Use Lacerte program restore on the the other end.

Be sure to get all necessary prior year returns backed up, but restore is probably only necessary for most current year. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns