Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X when original 1040 was paper filed.

An LC diagnostic says that e-filing of the 1040X is only allowed when the original return was electronically filed. See Ref 55285.  What would be the consequence of e-filing the 1040X?  Since my client's return has a balance due I'm going to e-file unless there is a compelling reason not to do so.

P..S the RTRP who did the original return prepared it manually AND did not list round numbers.  WHO DOES THAT?!  Adding cents is adding an additional chance for arithmetic errors. Furthermore, I think that indicates a lack of professionalism and perhaps padding the time spent and padding the bill as a result.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

I believe that's an IRS rule. I suspect it will get rejected. But go ahead and try to efile.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Is this a 2022 return?  Was there a balance due on the original, also?  If so, it has probably been "shelved" and will not be processed for another few months.  Your client can make the payment electronically and let IRS take its own sweet time to process the paper.  

FYI: It was accepted.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks for reporting back.

Ex-AllStar