Tolly's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tolly's Posts

I have a partnership that owns one rental property. Is not subject to section 163 limitations for interest expense. The basis worksheet is reducing basis for the K-1 loss which has mortgage interest ... See more...
I have a partnership that owns one rental property. Is not subject to section 163 limitations for interest expense. The basis worksheet is reducing basis for the K-1 loss which has mortgage interest expense included in the loss on the K-1, plus adding the partners share of interest expense to the total loss  on line 10 of the basis worksheet. The result is basis is decreased for the interest twice. The basis worksheet has the interest expense on line 4 b. It says if 4a less 4b is less than zero to include the interest expense on line 10. What am I missing?
I used Edge to get it to work. I had been using Internet Explorer. Not sure why I typed Microsoft Outlook! When I first tried to download "The Tool" I could get to the download but every time I trie... See more...
I used Edge to get it to work. I had been using Internet Explorer. Not sure why I typed Microsoft Outlook! When I first tried to download "The Tool" I could get to the download but every time I tried it would stop a little before finishing. I think I tried this four times. So I waited until the next day and was going to try again and if that still didn't work I was going to follow the manual instructions to delete and reinstall. But then I couldn't even get to the place to try to run the download. So I tried it with Edge and it worked. I did not get "can't access webpage" but it did have a picture of a padlock. I don't know what to tell you. It seems like an IT issue that is over my head. Sorry!
I had this problem. I couldn't even open the tools that George sited above. I was using Microsoft Outlook as my browser. I switched browsers then was able to use the Tools reference by George to fix ... See more...
I had this problem. I couldn't even open the tools that George sited above. I was using Microsoft Outlook as my browser. I switched browsers then was able to use the Tools reference by George to fix the problem.
I fixed it. I was using Microsoft Explorer. Switched to Edge and it worked.
Also I was trying to e-file a 2019 return and print e-mail and non e-mail PDF copies from 2019. After I downloaded 2020.
When I click on your link I get to the help page but I can't get to the article. There is a lock sign (picture of a padlock) off to the right. I can't figure out what is going on.
I downloaded 2020 and now I can't e-file or print to pdf. I type in the article regarding remove and reinstall lacerte and dms printer drivers and I can't open it. There is a lock showing. What is g... See more...
I downloaded 2020 and now I can't e-file or print to pdf. I type in the article regarding remove and reinstall lacerte and dms printer drivers and I can't open it. There is a lock showing. What is going on?
Sorry. Client had a new Tahoe (cost $67,797 with $10,800 SDA taken) placed in service 5/14/18 with 60% business use. In 2019 she only used the Tahoe 37.5% for business. I want to know how to run the ... See more...
Sorry. Client had a new Tahoe (cost $67,797 with $10,800 SDA taken) placed in service 5/14/18 with 60% business use. In 2019 she only used the Tahoe 37.5% for business. I want to know how to run the depreciation recapture ($6,732 = $10,800 - $4,068) and the increase in basis $6,732 through the Lacerte software.
I thought about that as well but I had PFIC income and made a QEC election so I had basis adjustments to that K-1 anyway. Most of my clients with PTP"s don't know there getting a K-1 until it comes. ... See more...
I thought about that as well but I had PFIC income and made a QEC election so I had basis adjustments to that K-1 anyway. Most of my clients with PTP"s don't know there getting a K-1 until it comes. The numbers you end up floating through the return are awfully small on most of them even with a $ 25,000 investment. To do it right takes just as much time as if it were a million dollar investment. Very frustrating for me. This one has 19 entities listed on the Form 926 information sheet!
Thank you! I had already included it as nonqualified dividend income as an entry in the dividend screen. Then in the K-1 screen I increased the basis. I thought about including it as misc. income but... See more...
Thank you! I had already included it as nonqualified dividend income as an entry in the dividend screen. Then in the K-1 screen I increased the basis. I thought about including it as misc. income but then it would not have gone to the 8960. The only description on the K-1 is "Subpart F Income". I'm not sure why Lacerte has a spot for it in the K-1 input when it doesn't go anywhere. They do give you a diagnostic but the only thing that does is let you know you have more work to do if you hadn't figured that out already. Thanks again. Always nice to have a second opinion.
I entered it in the appropriate spot on the K-1 input screen. It didn't go anywhere in the return. Then you get a diagnostic that tells you to read the partners instructions. All that does is tell th... See more...
I entered it in the appropriate spot on the K-1 input screen. It didn't go anywhere in the return. Then you get a diagnostic that tells you to read the partners instructions. All that does is tell the preparer of the K-1 to attach a schedule to the k-1. I suppose I could learn everything about Subpart F, then include it in the return and adjust the basis schedule if necessary. I was hoping someone already knows the answer!
Well, maybe not my best idea. The LLC is not in existence yet but the partnership was formed in 2019. They are going to form an LLC. My thought was to get the LLC EIN on 3/16/20 and file the return w... See more...
Well, maybe not my best idea. The LLC is not in existence yet but the partnership was formed in 2019. They are going to form an LLC. My thought was to get the LLC EIN on 3/16/20 and file the return with that EIN. Then form the LLC. I suppose I should get an EIN for a partnership name for 2019 and file under that. Then get the LLC set up in 2020 and use the new name and EIN. I'm not inclined to file two partnership returns in 2020 so I would probably have to use the non LLC partnership for 2020 then have a tax free exchange to the LLC on 1/1/21 nd use the LLC in 2021. My original idea is easier and harmless but not technically correct. Any thoughts?
Not on Saturday or Sunday. It is a brother and sister vacation rental property. They don't have a name picked out or an LLC yet. I know you don't need an LLC to file a partnership return, but now tha... See more...
Not on Saturday or Sunday. It is a brother and sister vacation rental property. They don't have a name picked out or an LLC yet. I know you don't need an LLC to file a partnership return, but now that they know they are a partnership the want an LLC. I think I will just extend it with the name they have picked out with EIN applied for. Manually if I have to. I hope I won't incur  additional REP fees.
That's what I was afraid of! But thanks.
How do you enter the personal use of a vacation rental in the partnership module?
Will a return e-file if it has the critical diagnostic Form 2210 worksheet in Draft form?
George4Tacks, Instructions say that "if any part of the federal tax payments on line 31 include self employment tax, federal household employment taxes, or other additional federal taxes, then those... See more...
George4Tacks, Instructions say that "if any part of the federal tax payments on line 31 include self employment tax, federal household employment taxes, or other additional federal taxes, then those federal taxes must be added back on line 28. See detailed IA 1040 instructions online." The detailed IA instructions online state the following: Taxpayers can deduct their entire withholding, estimated payment, and additional federal tax paid amounts on line 31. However, certain amounts must be added back on line 28, including the following: Excess advance premium tax credit repayment reported on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 24. Federal self-employment tax reported on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 4. Unreported Social Security and Medicare tax on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 5. Additional tax on IRAs and other qualified retirement plans reported on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 6. Federal household employment tax reported on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 7a. First-time homebuyer credit repayment reported on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 7b. Additional Medicare tax from federal form 8959 reported on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 8a. Other additional federal taxes reported on the federal 1040, Schedule 2, line 8c. So the question is if I have $10,000 of self employment taxes but have made no federal tax payments at all in the year so nothing is on line 31, do I have to add anything back on line 28? Lacerte only adds back self employment taxes to line 28 to the extent there have been federal taxes paid in the year. Iowa instructions also say "It is acceptable to report on line 28 either the current year’s self-employment / household employment tax / other federal taxes or the prior year’s, as long as the reporting method is consistent from one year to the next" So I guess if you don't add back the self employment taxes in the year incurred you have to add them back the next year. Once you decide what to do you have to be consistent. I suppose since Lacerte doesn't know what you did in prior years you may have to adjust what is on line 28 to reflect an established account method.
Do you add back the entire federal self employment tax to the Iowa return on line 28 (2019) even if the deduction for federal tax on line 31 is less than the self employment tax?