Lord Happy
Level 5

Happy day....In 2011 a 30+ year old company called Taxworks had a failed launch of their 2012 software.  We had been using their full suite.  When they collapsed, they gave us back the data with zero structure.  Here's what this means. 

In their system, we had a folder for the client, and inside that were years, and each year had sub folders for client docs, signature/transmittal docs, tax return, filing instructions and a few others.  In each client's tax return folder would be a few docs named something like "2010 tax return" or "2010 2 Year Comp."  When Taxworks gave us our data back, we had a drive with hundreds of files with those same names, and no client reference.  Thousands upon thousands of documents called "Form W2 - Taxpayer"  So imagine clicking through each file, figuring out the client and renaming everything.  So yeah...they gave us our data back, but with no structure. 

Now that we are coming apart from OT, I am so very thankful that I don't use their DMS. 

For TY 2023, I'd like to be in a new system, and migrating from PS to Lacerte is one of the things I will be researching as it just seems to be given more support than PS.

0 Cheers