BobKamman
Level 15

@JudyB  "Please tell me your thinking on Roth IRAs"

Are you asking me?  It's high-school math.  

C times [(1 + r  to the nth power)] times (1 - T)  -- where A is the contribution, r is the investment rate of return as a percentage, and T is the effective tax rate as a percentage

is always the same as 

[C - (C x T)] (1 + r to the nth power)

Or something like that -- it's easier to show on paper.  For example, you have $10,000 to invest and you can earn 10% on it.  In a traditional IRA, it will be $15,000 after five years. (More than that with compounding, but let's keep it simple.)  Your tax rate is 20%.  When you withdraw the $15,000 you pay $3,000 tax and have $12,000 left.  Or, you can pay $2,000 to start with, let the other $8,000 grow for five years, and you have $12,000.  

As the saying goes, six of one and half a dozen of the other. 

If you're paying annual fees to a financial adviser based on the value of the account, maybe you save money by starting out with less.  

If you're in California or New York and plan on moving to Nevada or Florida, a Roth lets you pay some state taxes that you could have avoided in retirement. 

If your retirement income is going to leave you in a 10% bracket compared to the 28% bracket while you are still employed, you are signing up for high tax rates because you ignore the lower ones in the future.

For several of my clients I have seen what I call an "Alzheimers Roth."  They have large balances in their traditional IRA, but nursing home care or home assisted living costs $60,000 to $180,000 a year.  The money comes out of the IRA tax-free.   

0 Cheers