robertdcpa
Level 1

Thanks.  I had previously read the information in the link you sent.  I guess what is throwing me and why I wasn't considering this relationship as "her own business" is that even though the outside sales position creates a statutory employee relationship, the wife still gets to participate in the corporation's medical and 401k plans and has payroll taxes withheld like "regular" employees.  The only difference being the corporation does not withhold federal income tax from her pay.  She takes care of that on her own.  

Plus, the sales she makes on behalf of the company are processed the same as those made by the corporation's inside sales team - they are invoiced in the name of the corporation, not her.  All these things taken together kind of led me to think that the business name and address would have been that of the corporation (same one that issued the W-2 to her).

Yes, it's reported on Sch C as outside sales is a special classification in the tax code, but to me the mechanics of the position indicate more of an employee/employer relationship (i.e., participating in the employer's benefit plans) than as as operating your own business situation.

0 Cheers