dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

so a newbie in the office prepared a college kid's 1040 and didn't check the 'can be claimed by parent ' box......and then this oldbie didn't catch that until AFTER I filed the return.  Actually, not until the parents return got rejected for claiming the college student dependent.

So, using the knowledge that I gained during that brief 7-minute period of reviewing how to file a superseded return, I filed a superseded return for the college student dependent.  I changed her return to indicate that she could, and she was, claimed as a dependent. That superseded return was accepted by the IRS.   It's been like 4 days now, that I have been trying to file the parents return, assuming the accepted superseded return would eliminate the rejection for claiming someone already claimed.  So my question to the community  is, will this correction eventually allow me to efile the parents return, or am I going to be relegated to the United States Postal Service for the parents' initial return.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers