Firewalls are hardware or software applications that exist to prevent unauthorized access to a computer or network. They may also block data transmissions, which can interfere with ProSeries communications. Allowing ProSeries files access through the firewall can eliminate error messages in downloading, updating, and licensing the program, as well as e-filing returns.
In particular, you may see the message Error downloading product inventory when trying to download and install ProSeries. A hardware firewall blocking communications most often causes this message. The hardware firewall may be contained in your router or modem, or a separate standalone device. Your hardware firewall must be configured to allow access to the files listed below to resolve the error.
Most firewalls have the option to allow or trust specific applications and files, but some may require more advanced configuration. Refer to your firewall manufacturer's instructions on how to configure it. If you're not sure how to configure your firewall, contact your local IT professional.
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
Power cycle the router and modem:
If you are receiving an error stating "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset" or if the connection issue just started happening it is recommended to reset your internet connection before continuing:
- Power off the router and modem. If they do not have an off switch unplug both devices.
- Some devices are a combination router and modem.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Power on the modem and wait for the connection to establish.
- Power on the router.
- Attempt the connection again.
Allow these ProSeries files through your firewall:
These files are located in the following folder:
- ProSeries Professional: C:\ProWinYY\32bit
- ProSeries Basic : C:\BasWinYY\32bit
Set up Microsoft Edge to allow communication:
How to enable or disable site permissions in Microsoft Edge
If you want more control over what sites try to access on your computer here’s how to manage site permissions. Here’s how to manage what websites have access to in Microsoft Edge:
- Launch Microsoft Edge and navigate to a site you want to manage permissions for. Then click the lock icon in the address bar and click Permissions for this site.
- On the next screen, use the dropdown menus to allow or disallow or ask permissions. When you’re finished, make sure to hit the Refresh button on the site to apply the change. The site will no longer allow access to the item you blocked. Or, it will have permission to use the item, i.e., your system’s microphone or camera.
- From this section, you can also click on the Reset button on the “Reset site permissions?” message. And it will reset them back to the default settings.
Change site permissions for all sites
If you don’t want to do the steps above for every site, you can set site permissions for all websites you visit, too.
- Launch Microsoft Edge and click the Options button (three dots) and click Settings from the menu.
- Now select Cookies and site permissions from the left panel. Then select the site and items you want to block or allow access.