Trying to download, install, print to, or use Document Management System for Lacerte will result in the following error(s):
- This version of DMS is not licensed. Without a license file, DMS will only run in demo mode and will only allow one database, 5 clients, and 15 documents per client. To purchase DMS, please contact your sales representative. If you are licensed for DMS, you need to update your license file. On the DMS Tools menu, click Update License Information.
The error continues when, after browsing to the correct license/prep file, it says:
- This license file does not include a current license for DMS.
Before you start
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
How to resolve the error
After purchasing DMS and downloading it for the new tax year, the program first reads the current year's Lacerte preparer license file. If Lacerte isn't installed, you may have to download the license file separately.
Follow these steps if the current year of Lacerte is installed and licensed:
- Within Lacerte, go to the Settings menu and select Update Preparer Info and then Download Prep File.
- When a pop-up window recommends closing Lacerte, click Yes. After Lacerte closes, open it back up.
- Open DMS and go to Tools, then Update License Information.
- If it doesn't detect the license, choose to look for it.
- Browse to the C:\Lacerte\YYtax\OptionYY folder for the current year on the network or local drive.
If the issue doesn't resolve, or if Lacerte isn't installed/licensed, follow these steps:
- Close DMS and Lacerte.
- Download the prep file from your My Account.
- If your using Intuit Hosting see Document Management System Intuit Hosting onboarding and setup guide.
- After saving the Prep.YY file, copy it to the following directory C:\ProgramData\Intuit\DMS.
- If your asked if you want to replace the existing files say yes.
- Open DMS and it should recognize it's licensed.
If you continue to receive the message "This license file does not include a current license for DMS," try opening the existing database or creating one like normal.
- If you can open or create the database, the program is licensed.
- If not, contact see here for how to contact Lacerte.