What is product licensing?
Product licensing is a system to register your tax software to your firm. Product licensing, as well as a current year Fast Path, are required to authorize the tax return for printing and for electronic filing.
- Products that aren't licensed for unlimited use will be authorized on a Pay-Per-Return basis.
- Licensing is only completed online.
- For most customers, product licensing occurs online automatically as part of the installation and configuration of the program.
- Tax years 2006-2018 are unlocked and no longer require product licensing. See here for more information.
How product licensing works
Product licensing verifies the products purchased with the ProSeries order in the Intuit Product Licensing servers to determine which formset (return types) should be authorized and included in the licensed program. Any product or formset that isn't found to have an unlimited license will be licensed using the Pay-Per-Return (PPR) license.
For licensing online, the Connected Customer Wizard will verify the product licensing information as part of the initial installation and configuration of the program. This will happen when you start ProSeries for the first time.
To manually license:
- Open ProSeries
- Make sure your customer number in the software is correct. Your customer number may be different from previous years.
- From the Tools menu, select Options.
- Under the General tab, select Customer Information.
- Close Options if the customer number is correct.
- From the Tools menu, select License Products.
- Make sure the Firm Information and select OK.
- Product licenses will appear. Make sure your product license information is correct and select Close.