This article will help you resolve the following error messages:
- ProSeries failed to license due to an unexpected error. Error Code: 4-1.
- ProSeries failed to license due to an unexpected error. Please verify that your customer number in ProSeries is accurate, and then try again. If this error persists, there may be a problem with your order, or your product license information must be reset. For more information and assistance with this issue, please review our online knowledge base article. Error Code: 4-1
If you're receiving this error in ProSeries 2006-2018 or prior, refer to this article on unlocking prior year ProSeries instead.
Resolving failure to license error code 4-1
To resolve failure to license error code 0-0, you need to rebuild the license files.
Rebuilding the license file:
- Close ProSeries.
- Open Windows File Explorer.
- Browse to the following location: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\EntitlementClient.
- ProgramData is a hidden folder. To view it, you may need to open Control Panel, then select File Explorer Options. Click the View tab, and check the box Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Open the v8 folder.
- Right-click on the entitlementdatastore.ecml file, then select Rename.
- Type old at the end of the file name, so that it reads entitlementdatastore.ecmlold.
- Open ProSeries.
- From the Tools menu, select License Products.
The entitlementdatastore.ecml file contains the license information for ProSeries 2015-Current as well as QuickBooks Desktop. To re-license prior year ProSeries programs go to the Tools menu and choosing License Products. If you use QuickBooks you will need to go to the Help menu and choose Activate QuickBooks Desktop.
If the error persists, please contact ProSeries Customer Service to verify your ProSeries entitlements on the correct account.
For more information on how to contact ProSeries, as well as our operating hours, here.