When printing PDF files in Lacerte, the program generates the following error message:
- The file being printed is already in PDF format. The print conversion will stop.
This issue occurs on 64bit operating systems when a 32bit program (usually Adobe Acrobat Reader) has a PDF file open and has focus in Windows while Lacerte is printing files to PDF.
Before you start:
This requires modification of the Windows Registry. Serious problems may occur if the registry is modified incorrectly. Intuit strongly recommends having an IT professional make these changes if you are not comfortable with editing the registry. It's also strongly recommended to make a backup of the registry before proceeding. See here for further instruction.
Follow these steps to resolve the error:
- Close all programs on your computer.
- Hold down the Windows key+R on your keyboard to open the Run prompt.
- Type Regedit in the Open: field and click OK.
- Browse to the following location:
- HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Lacerte Tax PDF 4.0
- In the right pane, move your mouse to an open space and right-click.
- In the new menu that appears, click on String Value.
- Name the string value PrintDisabled and hit Enter.
- Close out of the Registry Editor.
- Reopen Lacerte.
- Now, when another program has focus on a PDF file while Lacerte is printing to PDF, the error won't occur.