If you are receiving an error message when e-filing from ProSeries 2023 it may be due to missing the PTIN Verification box on step 5 below, or you may be missing required updates. See step 5 for verifying your PTIN and if you are still unable to e-file see How to refresh ProSeries updates.
To enter and verify your PTIN in ProSeries Professional or ProSeries Basic:
- Open ProSeries.
- From the Tools menu, select Options.
- On the left select Firm/Preparer Info.
- In the Preparer/Electronic Return Originator (ERO) Information section enter the Preparer Tax ID#(PTIN).
- A PTIN must be entered with a capital P or S followed by the 8 digit number.
- You must check the box PTIN verified correct? to show the PTIN was entered or transferred correctly. If this box is not checked you will receive an error saying Paid Preparer Information: PTIN verified correct? must be checked to confirm the PTIN present for this preparer is correct.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each preparer entered.
- Click the OK button.
For more information on PTIN renewals and verification see PTIN Requirements for Tax Return Preparers.