When ordering Lacerte, ProSeries and EasyACCT programs, there are two delivery options available: 'Download Only' or 'With CD'. Selecting either option will allow you to download the program once it is released. For "With CD" users, the software is shipped in 2-3 weeks after the online release date.
For tax year 2023 all orders will default to Download Only.
Some states allow sales tax breaks for Download Only:
- If you live in AK, AR, CA, DE, FL, GA, ID, MO, NV, OK, VA, and MD, you won't pay sales tax on your software licenses, in-season pay-per-return (PPR) charges, or in-season pay-as-you-go (REP) charges.
- If you live in CT you're eligible for a reduced tax rate of 1% on your Lacerte or ProSeries tax software licenses, in-season pay-per-return (PPR) charges, or in-season pay-as-you-go (REP) charges
- If you live in NJ or SC you'll incur tax on EF transactions but not on your tax software license.
- If you live in CO you won't pay state sales tax, but they do collect local tax depending on the county and this may be more than 1%.
- IA no longer offers reduced sales tax for download-only delivery options. Iowa Dept of Revenue made this change effective 1/1/2019.
- Effective 7/1/2022, MD is participating in sales tax alleviation for download-only users.
- To qualify for sales tax exemption, you may not receive any physical media. No exceptions based on state taxing mandates.
- State rules change often so verify the current sales tax exemptions with the state.
Frequently asked questions
Why was I switched to Download Only for TY23?
Beginning with the TY24 season, release CDs will no longer be offered. Getting familiar with Download Only for tax year 23 will better prepare firms for this change. Intuit is also trying to reduce its carbon footprint as part of a company-wide Go Green initiative.
How does it work?
When the product is released, typically the first week of November, instead of receiving a CD with the current year's software, you'll receive an email with a link to where you can download and install your software directly to your computer. You can also access this link through My Account any time after the products are released. See here for Lacerte, here for ProSeries, or here for EasyACCT step-by-step instructions.
As a Download Only customer can I still get a CD?
No, with the Download Only Delivery option, you won't receive a CD of your tax software from us, but you can download and create a CD on your own.
For instructions on downloading and creating an installation CD see the following articles: