When working with Lacerte, for one reason or another, you may find a need to change the client number for one of your clients. Down below, we'll go over how to do so.
Before you start:
- If a REP authorization has already been acquired for the client selected, then REP Access would need to be attained for the new client number assigned to the client. Lacerte won't process any additional fee for acquiring the REP authorization for the new client number.
- If the client selected to be renumbered has been electronically filed, future acknowledgments for this client file may not be received.
- If a client with the same client number already exists, the program prompts you to replace the existing client with the one being renumbered.
- The process for changing client numbers for client files in Lacerte is the same for all tax type modules.
To change the client number:
- On the Client list, select the client(s) to change.
- If you want to duplicate the client using a different name, use Copy.
- On the Client menu, select Renumber.
- Enter a new client number, up to eight letters and numbers, and then select OK.
- Repeat this for each client selected. The program renumbers the client(s) with the new client numbers. From the next window, choose the following to:
- Select either Yes or Yes to All to replace the client or group of clients.
- Select No to keep the original client and cancel renumbering the client.
- Select Cancel to cancel renumbering the client.