A paid tax return preparer must complete Form 8867 whenever the following credits are part of the return:
- Earned Income Credit (EIC)
- Child Tax Credit (CTC)
- Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC)
- Credit for other dependents (ODC)
- American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC)
- Head of Household filing status (HOH)
To clear final review errors:
- For each credit that is part of the return, the corresponding box on the 8867 must be checked. If multiple credits are in the return, multiple boxes need to be checked on the 8867.
- These boxes can be selected on one or multiple copies.
- After selecting the applicable boxes ProSeries will generate errors for the required questions.
Generating multiple copies of the 8867
If different paid preparers verified the eligibility for each applicable credit, you'll need to select the necessary boxes on additional copies of Form 8867.
Due diligence requirements
- In addition to answering all of the appropriate questions on Form 8867, you must retain documentation and records of questions asked, documents that you relied on etc. For more information on the IRS due diligence requirements, see: IRS Due Diligence
- ProSeries has included Due Diligence worksheets to aid in collecting and maintaining records to comply with these requirements.