This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
One of the following errors is generating in Lacerte when you attempt to open the program:
- Error loading prep file manager. Element was not closed.
- Error loading prep file manager. An invalid character was found in text content. Line: 0
This error generates due to the application's inability to read the firms, prep, or prepar files. The program XML Parser is used to read these files, which may be damaged or missing.
Solution 1: Rename the prep, prepar, and firms files
Follow these steps to rename the prep, prepar, and firms files:
- Browse to the Lacerte option path using Windows File Explorer.
- The default option path is is C:\Lacerte\YYtax\OPTIONYY.
- Locate the Firms file and rename it by adding "old" to the front.
- For example, Firms.w0 would be renamed to oldFirms.w0.
- Try opening Lacerte again.
- If the program doesn't open, repeat steps 2 and 3 for the prep and prepar files.
- For example, Prep.20 would be renamed to oldPrep.20, and Prepar.w0 would be renamed to oldPrepar.w0.
- From the Settings menu, select Options.
- Review the information on the Preparers and Firm Info tabs.
- Fill in any missing information.
Solution 2: Configure your antivirus software for Lacerte
We highly recommend that you have your IT specialist configure this for you. Refer to this article for instructions on configuring your antivirus software for Lacerte.
Solution 3: Run the Component Repair Tool
We highly recommend that you have your IT specialist run this tool for you. Refer to this article for instructions on accessing the Compenent Repair Tool in Lacerte.