qbteachmt
Level 15

"I hate simple questions as they also lead me to many more "simple" questions"

I agree. Just on the surface, there are some assumptions I would make for input in this type of counseling. For instance, there are better ideas than what that financial advisor offered:

They mention the new rules, so this assumes the person is over 70 and still working, even though also taking RMD, so likely 72 or older. That RMD isn't relatively large, which allows you to back-calculate the amount in the IRA. If the person doesn't "need" the RMA, as indicated by the question that came up, then I would take the RMD, put into Roth as much of this year's wage provision as can be afforded and would be allowed, with the RMD being a net (allowing the withholding so that the tax hit isn't a surprise in April). I would also consider looking at conversions splitting it for 2021 and for 2022, spreading it out to avoid IRMAA, and to spread out the tax hit on the conversion into different tax years.

This accomplishes not needing to take RMA, when the conversions are done. And, if the person doesn't really need the IRA funds for 5-7 years at a minimum, it is likely the tax on the conversion will pay back by earnings/growth in that timeframe, if this is invested well. And then we don't need to worry about RMDs. If they keep working, the deductibility of new Trad IRA isn't as important as new contributions going into the Roth. Because if you ware going to rely on growth and gains and earnings, who wouldn't want it to be tax free?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.