Shedid
Level 3

"Lacerte doesn't split unemployment"

That's part of the whole problem.... Lacerte is not splitting the community income and it needs to be split 50/50. The question then is how the unemployment exclusion works on a MFS return when only ONE of the spouses actually RECEIVED the unemployment.  Everyone seems to have a different take on this.

"From my understanding unemployment is not community income."

I live in a community property state.  It is definitely community income. There is no question about unemployment being community income. See Calhoun v. Commissioner.   

I spent half a day on the phone with Lacerte a week ago... 3 different phone calls.  Sent up my file so they could take a look at it. None of the techs could figure out why it's not splitting, but then I got cut off after an hour or so on all 3 calls. One tech "escalated the file up the chain."  I have heard nothing back.  I believe Lacerte automatically disconnects you after their standard hour (or so_) on the phone with support.  Each tech person took that long just to figure out that Lacerte indeed wasn't allowing you to split unemployment.  Pretty frustrating! Think it may be time to look for new software next year.

0 Cheers