Before you start:
- Client checklist is only available in ProSeries Professional.
- Client checklist will only generate on client files transferred from the prior year software.
- Client checklist is only available on Federal 1040 returns.
- In order to email the client checklist you'll need a supported MAPI compliant email application. The email applications supported are:
- All 32-bit versions of Outlook 2007 or later
What is the client checklist feature?
The Client Checklist feature provides a way to help your returning 1040 clients gather the information you need to prepare their individual returns. A client checklist is a letter to a returning Form 1040 client that identifies the documents and information that you're likely to need to complete the client's tax return(s).
You can email an electronic copy of a client checklist to a client, or mail, fax, or hand-deliver a printed copy of a client checklist to a client. When you e-mail the client checklist, the program places the client checklist in an encrypted PDF file, and the client checklist e-mail tells the client how to access the client checklist.
The client checklist for each client is created using the Client Checklist template along with information that was transferred from the client's prior year ProSeries 1040 client file.
To see the Client Checklist template and Client Checklist email template:
- Transfer the data from a prior year ProSeries 1040 client file.
- Open this year's client file with the transferred data.
- From the Tools menu, choose Client Checklist.
- Review the Preview/Customize Client Checklist screen.
- The client checklist is shown first.
- The client checklist e-mail is shown below the client checklist.
- The left side is a Print Preview.
- The right side is where you can edit the client checklist and client checklist e-mail.
If you make any changes then select the Save Changes for All Clients button, the changes you made are used for all subsequent client checklists.