How to generate Massachusetts Schedule R/NR
The taxpayer moved into or out of Massachusetts during the year but has Massachusetts income during both periods. How can the Schedule R/NR be generated and how do the inputs work?
To generate the Schedule R/NR:
- Go to Screen 55, Part-Yr./Nonres. Information
- Select Massachusetts from the left navigation panel
- Under the Massachusetts Part-Year/Nonresident section, check the box Filing both as nonresident and part-year resident.
How the Schedule R/NR inputs work:
When you enter a number in the Massachusetts Schedule R/NR (Part-year Residents Only) section it will:
- Subtract that amount from Column B of the Schedule R/NR
- Add that amount to Column C and Column D of the Schedule R/NR
This means that when entering amounts in the program, all Massachusetts income (whether resident or non-resident) should be entered in and sourced to MA. The entries on this screen are to indicate how much of the Massachusetts income was earned while a non-resident