Down below we will go over how to amend the federal or state Fiduciary return in ProSeries Professional, as well as how to e-file them.
For more general information on how to amend a Form 1041 return, you may review the IRS instructions for Form 1041.
How to amend a Form 1041 return:
- From the HomeBase view, highlight the return.
- From the File menu, go to Client File Maintenance, and select Copy/Backup to backup up the original return.
- For more information on how to copy or backup, click here.
- Open the originally filed return.
- If you need to amend the state return you should go to the state amended form and consult the tax help for instructions before proceeding.
- Scroll to Part VI - Electronic Filing Information and check the box to e-file the federal amended return if efiling the amended return.
- Box F, Amended Return on Form 1041, page 1 is automatically checked when efiling. If paper filing you must check the box manually.
- Correct the appropriate lines with the new information.
- From Form 1041, page 1, Box F, click the QuickZoom button from the Amended Return line.
- Complete the Explanation statement that explains the reason for the amendment and identifies the lines and amounts being changed on the amended return.
If the amended return results in a change to income or the distribution of income or other information provided to a beneficiary, an amended Schedule K-1 must also be filed and given to the beneficiary. Ensure the Amended K-1 box is checked at the top of each Schedule K-1 to indicate that it is amended.
Amendments to the federal return may affect the state return. To amend the state return:
- Complete the amended federal return, then go to the state return. ProSeries will transfer the updated federal information to the state.
- Make any necessary state adjustments.
- Check the Tax Help and Government Instructions, or contact the state taxing authority for detailed information on amending the state return. To indicate an amended return, you may have to check a box on the main form or write Amended at the top of the form. You may also need to attach a statement of changes made to the return.
The originally filed state return is still attached to the original federal return in the original file.
How to e-file an amended Form 1041 return:
Before you start:
- To mark an electronically filed return as Amended Return Mode, you must have the accepted acknowledgement for the originally filed return.
- If the original return was paper filed, be sure to only check the box next to "Check this box to file a federal amended return electronically" in Part V of the Fiduciary Information Worksheet. Do not check the boxes for filing the return electronically.
To e-file the amended Form 1041 return:
- Before you amend the original return, we recommend that you make a backup copy of the return you will be amending.
- Complete the steps to amend the Form 1041 return as listed above.
- On the Fiduciary Information Worksheet, go to Part V - Electronic Filing Information and scroll down to the Electronic Filing of Amended Return section and verify that the box Check this box to file a federal amended return electronically is checked. If not, check it now.
- From the Information menu, select Final Review.
- Verify Electronic Filing is checked and click Review.
- Clear any You Must Fix errors before e-filing.
- Save the return.
- Go to the EF Center.
- Select the amended 1041 return to e-file.
- From the E-File menu, select Electronic Filing and Convert/Transmit Returns/Extensions/Payments.
- From the Electronic Filing Options select Convert and Transmit selected returns/extensions/payments.