How do I generate Form 8955-SSA?
- On the Detail tab, go to Screen 15, Deferred Vested Benefits (Form 8955-SSA).
- On the left panel under Participant, select General Information.
- Check the box Print Form 8955-SSA (Mandatory).
- Most of the Basic Plan Information in Part II will be completed with information from Screen 1, Client Information.
- Complete all other information in this screen applicable to the return:
- Checking Voluntary filing of Form 8955-SSA will check the box for line A.
- Checking Amended registration statement will check the box for line B.
- Complete the Prior Administrator information to fill out line 4.
- Enter the number of participants who separated with a deferred vested benefit required to be reported on this Form 8955-SSA, page 1, line 6a in Separated Participants Required to be Reported.
- Enter the number of participants who separated with a deferred vested benefit voluntarily reported on this Form 8955-SSA, page 1, line 6b in Separated participants voluntarily reported.
- On the left panel under Participant, click Add to enter the Participant Information for Part III. You can add multiple participants in this screen.
How do I e-file Form 8955-SSA?
Due to the return being locked for signature request, we recommended that you e-file the 8955-SSA before e-filing Form 5500. If you have to e-file the 8955-SSA after e-filing the 5500, make a copy of the client file, unlock the copy, and then e-file form 8955-SSA from the copy.
To E-file Form 8955-SSA, the Other Filing Types E-file Wizard must be used:
- In Screen 1, Client Information, check the box for Federal Form 8955-SSA within the Electronic Return section.
- Click the E-File dropdown menu located at the top of the Lacerte window.
- Select Step 2: Start e-File Return Wizard.
- Once the Electronic Filing Wizard is opened to Select - Validate/Send, verify US-8955-SSA has been checked.
- Continue through the wizard by clicking Next.