This article will help you determine what caused an e-file rejection and how to correct the return, or if necessary, paper file with the appropriate documentation.
First, check the rejection message:
- Highlight the client on your clients list.
- Press F4 on your keyboard to open the client status window.
- Click on the E-File tab.
- Select the rejected status you need to see details of.
You can also view the rejection message on the Diagnostics tab inside the return. Many rejection messages will list a resolution here, such as entering missing data or updating your program. Follow the instructions in the message, then e-file the return once more. However, if the rejection was caused by a factor that can't be changed - say, another taxpayer claimed a child with the same Social Security number - you'll need to paper file the return.
If needed, paper file the return:
Follow these steps to collect the documents you need and mail in the tax return.
- Open the client to the Detail tab.
- Go to Screen 1, Client Information.
- Un-check the Select for E-File box. This will tell Lacerte that the return is being paper filed, and update your client letter and forms accordingly.
- Go to Screen 4.4, e-file Miscellaneous.
- Under Form 8948 Preparer Explanation for Not Filing Electronically, enter the Reject error code you received and the Number of attempts to resolve reject.
- Print the tax return and provide it to your client for signature and filing. The client letter (or filing instructions, if printed separately) will inform your client where they should sign and the mailing address of the appropriate IRS processing center.