Before you start
You can also set up customers on the fly by entering a new customer ID number in the A/R Transaction Entry screen.
- Go to Accounts Receivable > Update Company Files > A/R Setup Wizard and enter the default items for alerts, service charge codes, and typical payment terms. Entering these now will speed up the process of setting up customers.
- Select the Update Products Services screen and define your billable items.
To add customers
- Go to Update Company Files > Customer Information and select New Record.
- Enter a unique alphanumeric ID number and the customer contact information.
- Go to the Std. G/L Account field and enter the G/L Accounts Receivable account number for the customer invoice.
- This field is used for tracking G/L distribution and for posting to the general ledger module.
- If an account number isn't entered, the posting will use the account number assigned in the A/R Setup Wizard Sales Terms.
- In the Tax Code field, select the Sales Tax Code to be used for the customer.
- Sales Tax Codes are set up in the Payroll/Sales Tax Tables.
- Press Alt-V or use the dropdown arrow, to select from a list of codes previously set up in the Payroll/Sales Tax Tables.
- Select an alert in the Alert Code field.
- Enter a service charge code in the Svc Chrg field.
- Select the typical payment terms in the Terms Code field.
- Choose an account type for the customer in the Account Type field by entering an O for Open Item or B for Balance Forward.
- Account types are determined by how the customer pays, either by Invoice (Open Item) or Account (Balance Forward).
- Select Save.