Before you start:
If the taxpayer and spouse are in a community property state
Before splitting a joint return, if the taxpayer and spouse are in a community property state, make sure that the global option is set for community property.
To set the Community Property State option:
- Go to Settings > Options and select the Tax Return tab.
- Scroll down to the Federal Tax Option section.
- Locate the Community Property State option (5th option from the bottom).
- Select Yes from the dropdown menu.
The community property state must also be indicated as the resident state on Screen 1, Client Information.
To split the joint return:
- Go to Screen 1, Client Information.
- Locate the Filing Status section.
- Select Married Filing Jointly from the Filing Status dropdown menu.
- Check the box, MFJ/MFS Comparison.
- Select the Forms tab.
- Review the MFJ/MFS Comparison worksheet.
- Select Tools.
- Select Split Joint Return.
- Select the boxes next to the clients for whom you want to create separate returns for.
- Enter a client number or use the client numbers assigned by Lacerte.
- Select OK to split the return. After selecting OK, pay attention to the Split MFJ Report for any diagnostics listed.