Below, you'll find answers to frequently asked questions on Minnesota, Schedule M1NR in Lacerte:
How do you complete Schedule M1NR?
- Go to Screen 1, Client Information and make sure you've selected the Multi-State Return? box.
- Go to Screen 55, Part-Yr./Nonres. Information.
- Under the St. PY/Nonres panel, select Minnesota.
- Select the State (abbr.) of Residency for the taxpayer (and spouse, if Married Filing Jointly).
The amount flowing to Schedule M1NR should show in both columns A and B. How do you show the amount in column B?
According to the Schedule M1NR Instructions, line 13, column B amounts should flow from Schedule M1M Lines 6, 7, and 10. These amounts must be from Minnesota sources earned while a nonresident.
- Make sure the items entered to generate the amounts on either form M1M and M1NC are all showing as Minnesota items.
- If they aren't showing as Minnesota items, the amounts will only flow to column A.
Why aren’t deductions generating on the M1NR?
If your client’s Minnesota gross income is below the $12,400 filing requirement, but they’re filing to claim credit for withholding or estimates paid, there are special instructions for how to complete the M1NR.
Review the current year M1NR instructions to verify the minimum filing requirement and lines to skip.