This article explains how to generate an exemption amount on Form NJ-1040 Line 29 for a part-year resident.
- If the taxpayer isn't required to file a New Jersey income tax return, then the program won't calculate the exemption amount.
- Filing requirements state a New Jersey income tax return is required for part-time residents only if Gross Income from Everywhere was more than:
- $10,000 for single or married/CU, filing separately
- $20,000 for married/CU, filing jointly or a qualifying widower/surviving CU partner
An NJ return is also required if:
- Taxpayer had New Jersey income tax withheld and is due a refund.
- Taxpayer paid New Jersey estimated taxes during the year and is due a refund.
- Taxpayer is eligible for a New Jersey earned income tax credit or other credit and is due a refund.