This article explains how to import data from a Lacerte client file to Tax Planner.
- Due to Lacerte login requirements in tax year 2016 and newer, the program needs to be opened first to successfully import a tax client.
- Open the Lacerte Tax Planner.
- In the second screen choose Import a Lacerte Tax Client.
- If that screen doesn't open, go to the File menu and select Import Tax Client.
- Alternatively, select the Import button on the toolbar.
- If the error, "Couldn't initialize Tax Program, NOTLOGGEDIN," appears when trying to import a client, open the Lacerte program with the client you want to import and try this operation again.
- A window will open listing the individual clients.
- Highlight the client and press OK.
How to export client data from Lacerte to Tax Planner
- Open Lacerte.
- Open the client file you wish to export.
- From the Tools menu, select Tax Planner.
- In the Lacerte Tax Planner Export window, choose Export client to the Tax Planner and select OK.
- Tax Planner will open automatically. Choose either to create a new Plan, or use an existing one.
- You may receive messages about some data not exporting. Once you've reviewed them, select OK.
- In the Plan Information window, select Plan Type, Years and Cases, and State Information, then click OK to save.
The data will take a moment to populate in the new/edited plan.