Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to enter for a 1040, a general business credit carryback?

LisaPap
Level 3

there's a fair bit of info how to enter a carryforward, but almost nothing about a carry back.  I have a general business credit (efficient home credit from a flow through entity) carry back to show on an amended 1040, but there seems to be no way to enter it.  The Form 3800 Part III has a checkbox for carryback, but I can't just add a 3800 Part III.  when I click on Forms and 3800 Part III, there are existing forms listed which I can click on.  At the bottom where we can generally add a form, it shows, but the radio button does not allow me to click on it.  If I were to put it on the K-1, it shows up as a current yr credit, not a C/B.  I tried that and then overriding the Carryback checkbox on form 3800 Part III, but ProSeries clearly did not like that - lots of error messages!  So is there no way to show a credit carryback in ProSeries???? If so, that's disturbing.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
LisaPap
Level 3

Figured out the answer myself!  At bottom of 3800 worksheet there is a place to enter credit carry forwards and carry backs (at first glance it had seemed as if it was only for credit carry FORWARDS) - and must also check the box at top of 1040-X to show credit carrybacks are included.