Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of Debt Form 1099-C for a deceased spouse

PPECPA
Level 4

Here's a good question, I think I know the answer but would like the communities thoughts.  I have a client who's husband passed away in 2021.  For the 2021 tax year, the spouse filed a MFJ return as the surviving spouse is  considered legally married for the year (did not remarry in the same year).

Now, for the 2022 tax year, the surviving spouse is filing head of household (not married) as she maintains a household for her and her mother.

For the 2022 tax year the client received three (3) Form 1099-Cs for her late husband.  All 1099-C's report a "date of identifiable event" of either August 31, 2022 or September 1, 2022.  The 1099-C's are in the late husbands name and no where on the forms is the surviving spouse named.  As I understand this from the client, these charge accounts were in the husbands name only, not the wifes.  Soc. Sec. number on the Form 1099-Cs' is only the late husbands.  

Now we are all caught up.  

Does the surviving spouse have to report the Cancellation of debt as income on her tax return for the 2022 year?

My thought initially is NO she does not as the return I am preparing for her is a HOH return and no where on the return is her late husband shown, in short I have nothing to attach this income to.

Am I correct in this?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

PPECPA

0 Cheers
19 Comments 19
IRonMaN
Level 15

The attachment you are looking for would be a 1041.  Were there any assets left in the estate after death?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Don't fall down the rabbit hole of believing we have a tax on pieces of paper, not on income which includes cancellation of debt.  The question you should ask is whether she was liable for her husband's debt, under state law - for example, she acquired that $10 million home through joint tenancy and the $100,000 in Krugerrands because they were in the house safe.  Most of the time, widows are not liable for their late husband's separate debts.  But sometimes they are, whether a piece of paper is involved or not.  

0 Cheers
PPECPA
Level 4

Thanks for the follow up.  Kruggerrands?  Really?  You've been watching Lethal Weapon II haven't you.

But I digress.  

No estate or trust was established and the assets/liabilities of the late husband did not go through probate.  

I've looked this up as best I can and all I could find was posts similar to this one here at Lacerte.  But of the posts I've looked at, they seem to agree that the this is not reportable by the wife as the return will be in her name and not the husbands.  Had these 1099-Cs been received in the same year of his death then yes things might be different.  But as this is now, the debt was in his name only and the client/wife is not filing a MFJ return.

Would I be wrong not to report the this as income on the 2022 tax return?

PPECPA

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"No estate or trust was established and the assets/liabilities of the late husband did not go through probate. "

That means nothing.

As Jeff said, it is income to the estate of the decedent and may or may not be taxable. Form 1041.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

It might very well belong on her 1040 if she was personally liable for the debt.  Don't drag a 1041 red herring over the rabbit hole.  

PPECPA
Level 4

Means nothing?  Ok

So this May or may not be taxable.  Ok how do I know if it is or is not?

That's my question?  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

First, as Bob said, find out if she is/was liable for it.

If she's not, then it's his estate's income. It's not taxable if the estate was insolvent, to the extent of the insolvency. Otherwise it is.

Ex-AllStar
PPECPA
Level 4

How can his be taxable to her if the 1099 - C names the late husband and not her?  The account was not a jointly owned account and again, his name is will not be on the return for 2022.  

The canceled debt is typically considered income.   I get that.  This is different.

Considering her husband passed away in 2021,  and she does not file a joint return this year 2022, then there is not a return to add the income unless there was an estate opened.  Again, no estate was opened.  If there was no estate or probate opened or the estate was closed, then there is nothing we can add it to.

If she was/is named on the 1099-C as a joint recipient of the canceled debt, then yes we include it on the return.  But that's not the case here.

Is this reportable on the her tax return for 2022?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

It can be taxable to her if she was liable for the debt and did not pay it.  Whether she was liable for the debt is a question of state law.  Do they have lawyers over there where you are?  Did she ever consult with one about the questions that many widows have?  

If you want to try your hand at the unlicensed practice of law, you won't be the first tax practitioner to operate that way.  If you want to speculate on how she would be caught if it's taxable and she doesn't report it, that's also a common practice, although not really appropriate for message boards.  

Have you figured out what happened in 2022, a year after the husband's death, to make the banks stop trying to collect it?  Did they ever call her?  Did she ever call them?  And you're just taking her word for it, right, that it was his separate account and she never used it for expensive jewelry or dinner dates with friends?  

cpataxpromesa
Level 1

There's the legal perspective that all these people are trying to advise on, and then there's the practical perspective.  If the 1099-C forms are issued in the late husband's SSN and NOT your client's, then the IRS will have no way to match that potential income to your client's 2022 tax return.  The IRS knows the man is deceased because you indicated on the 2021 return, hopefully, so at best they would be looking for the income on a 1041 estate, but they are so far backed up, I doubt they will be after you or the client for this income, even considering the 80k new agents they are supposed to be hiring.

So from a practical perspective, I think you're okay with not reporting the income on her 2022 Form 1040.  If the IRS sends her a notice, you can explain it was a debt of the deceased husband and then file a 1041.  And maybe the 1041 will show some of it is nontaxable like someone said, due to the insolvency of the estate.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

" Again, no estate was opened.  If there was no estate or probate opened or the estate was closed, then there is nothing we can add it to."

That has nothing to do with income tax.

Maybe the estate should have been probated. Maybe not. That is a legal question.

Ex-AllStar
PPECPA
Level 4

Got it!  The estate has nothing to do with the cancellation of debt being taxed on the wife's taxes.  

So, is this or is this not reportable as income on the wife's tax return?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is the part that resonates with me: "No estate or trust was established and the assets/liabilities of the late husband did not go through probate."

So, there were assets? Where did that go? What are they?

The point is that the value of this person's life at the date of death, stands good for the liabilities. You cannot state there is nothing to report, if there was a car which had an auto loan, for example. The write off of the car loan doesn't give the surviving spouse a free car.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
PPECPA
Level 4

Hey Promesa

I am in agreement with your comments.  This is really the only response that to me makes practical sense.  

Much thanks

PPECPA out!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Really?

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Ha ha ha ha ha... Boy, does this make my day.

Husker
Level 1

I am interested in this question.  My husband passed away early in 2022.  I filed for 2021and 2022 as MJ.  This year for 2023 I will file single.  He was primary on credit card debt.  I received several letters from them stating I was NOT responsible for the debt.  Everything we owned was joint, therefore there was no estate or probate.  I have received a 1099-C with his name and Social Security number on it.  I am not listed.  Wondering what I am supposed to do with it!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Husker

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Income Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer using TurboTax. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

And try this screen, for the various topics (subforums): https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

Your sign in user info here is the same one you can use over at the TurboTax forum.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
PPECPA
Level 4

Hi Husker

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner.  Been out of town for the better part of a week.  yes I recall this issue.  I researched this through IRS publications and asked around here and came up with what I thought was a solution.  

Short story is, do not report the 1099 Cancellation of debt on your taxes period.  Absent a trust or will, if the debt was in the deceased spouse name and his/her name only then do not report this on your taxes.   The IRS would typically track this by the persons' social security number and then look for that 1099 to be reported on the taxpayers return.  But if you are now filing single and your late spouses social security number is not reported on your return, then do not report.  

Had these 1099-Cs been received in the same year of spouses death then yes things might be different.  But as this is now, if the debt was in his name only and if the client/wife is not filing a MFJ return then all bets are off.  Do not report.

Best of luck

0 Cheers