Lacerte® Document Management System
Store and access your critical client files faster, easier and more securely than ever.
The Tax Document Management System from Lacerte is the easy, affordable way to help you reduce operating costs, improve service and help protect your firm from risk. Store client files electronically and access them instantly right from your PC.
Adding Lacerte Document Management System to my office for the past two years has been the most useful addition to my office since the computer and the copy machine were invented. I am better organized, my work is easier and my clients love the fact that I can provide them copies of all the documents we used to do their work with a touch of a button. But best of all, my answer to my client's question, 'Where did you get that number on my return?' is now just a mouse-click away."1
- William Murray, Certified Financial Planner
What you can do with the Lacerte Document Management System
- Lower operating costs by reducing the need for printing, filing, re-filing and storing physical files
- Store any type of client information — including tax returns, letters and hand-written notes
- Improve service. View, edit, fax, or email information instantly from your PC
- Manage documents from most any source including Microsoft® Office applications
Help Protect Your Firm from Risk
Storing business-critical data on paper leaves you vulnerable to data theft, flood, fire and other disasters that could cost millions. Dramatically reduce the risk with Lacerte Document Management System password protection and file access controls. Built-in backup tools let you maintain up-to-date copies of your entire database offsite, to keep your business running even when your office is shut down.
Getting Started with Lacerte Document Management System
Lacerte makes the transition painless for your staff, transparent to clients and affordable to your budget. Instead of printing documents on paper, simply choose "Document Management System Printer" and the folder where you'd like to store the document. You can add additional documents directly from Lacerte Tax or Tax Planner, and scan paper documents into your database as PDF files.
Lacerte Productivity Plus Bundle
Get three of our best time-saving tools for only $349. Along with Document Management System, you get:
Lacerte Tax Planner — Build stronger relationships by showing clients how to decrease their tax liability.
- Save clients more money with customized, tax-minimizing strategies
- Educate clients by creating multiple scenarios using current and future tax rates
- Send clients home with graphs, reports and letters that summarize their tax plans
Lacerte Tax Analyzer — Be a hero to your clients by providing valuable tax strategies tailored to their specific situation. Help them gain peace of mind while keeping more of what they earn.
- Make it easy for clients to understand how new tax laws will impact their business
- Protect clients from problems that may trigger a stressful and time-consuming audit
- Empower clients to explore different tax options — provide side-by-side comparisons showing the positive or negative impact on their bottom line
Store and retrieve any type of client communication electronically.
Reduce your vulnerability to data theft, flood, fire and other disasters with built-in security features. And improve customer satisfaction and office efficiency with instant access to client data and electronic communications.
Increase efficiencies by going paperless.
Built-in Security Features
- Password protection, file access controls, and backup tools
- Reduce your disaster risk
- Keep your business up and running
Instant Access to Files
- Double-click access to searchable electronic data
- Store any type of information you keep in your paper files
- Search by document name, category, date, type or size
- View, edit, fax or email information instantly
Common Questions About Lacerte Document Management System
- Does Lacerte Document Management System use a proprietary file system to store my documents?
- What kind of scanner does Lacerte recommend?
- How are files transferred from Lacerte, or other programs, into Document Management System?
- Is there a link from the Lacerte Tax program to Document Management System?
- How will the scanned document get imported into Document Management System?
- I already have a paperless process I created. Why should I buy Document Management System?
- Can I search for keywords in the file name and in the document itself?
- What is the advantage of using Document Management System over printing to PDF?
- Is there an option for backing up the Document Management System data?
- Can two users access the same document at the same time?
- How many years going back can I save tax returns?
- Can I use email programs other than Outlook?
- Can I use Explorer to browse for documents stored in Document Management System?
Common Questions About Lacerte Document Management System
Does Lacerte Document Management System use a proprietary file system to store my documents?
No, Document Management System does not use a proprietary file system. Like most software applications, Document Management System utilizes a database, which provides for protection and stability — two extremely critical requirements that our customers have told us are important to them.
In addition, Document Management System is not considered a proprietary system for the following reasons:
- Access to documents — Document Management System allows users with rights in Document Management System to easily remove files from Document Management System to the Windows file system (or vice versa) by either using the import/export function in Document Management System, or by dragging and dropping files from Document Management System to the file system (or vice versa). No restrictions are placed on files in Document Management System that prevent them from being opened with their associated programs or from being removed from Document Management System.
- Document Format — Document Management System uses the most common type of document format, Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF). PDF is the published specification used by standards bodies around the world for more secure, reliable electronic document distribution and exchange. It is the standard format used by the IRS, SEC, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and for electronic case filings in U.S. federal courts. PDF is also the only format the IRS accepts for electronic filing of business return attachments. For viewing PDF documents outside of Document Management System, Adobe provides a free PDF reader downloadable at http://get.adobe.com/reader.
- Ongoing use of Document Management System — Even if you decide to stop purchasing Document Management System in the future, Document Management System will continue to function as designed; the only difference is that Document Management System will not integrate directly with future years' tax programs. Printing directly or importing clients directly from future versions of these tax programs will not be possible (although printing to Document Management System using the Document Management System print driver will still be possible), but the Document Management System program will continue to function normally.
What kind of scanner does Lacerte recommend?
We recommend a quality, high-speed, TWAIN-compliant scanner.
Scanning speed is critical in transitioning to a paperless office, so you should purchase a scanner designed for business use. We also recommend a scanner with an automatic document feeder (ADF), as Document Management System will allow you to scan multiple pages and documents at once.
Scanners that meet these requirements should work with Document Management System, but some work better with Document Management System than others. Generally, Hewlett Packard scanners tend to perform the best with Document Management System, but many other brands will work as well.
How are files transferred from Lacerte, or other programs, into Document Management System?
You can import files from the Lacerte Tax or any other program when in Document Management System or export files to Document Management System from Lacerte Tax. If a particular client already exists in Document Management System, it will update the client's information in Document Management System as you export the files. You can also create new clients in Document Management System when sending clients tax returns or tax plans to Document Management System. Files created in MS-Office are easily saved into Document Management System by choosing the "Save in DMS" icon that is added when you install Document Management System. In addition, any file can easily be added to Document Management System by using the drag and drop functionality in Windows.
Is there a link from Lacerte Tax to Document Management System?
Yes, there is a Document Management System icon located in Lacerte Tax. If you are in a client file in Lacerte Tax, click on the Document Management System icon; Document Management System will launch and take you directly to that client's folder in Document Management System.
How will the scanned document get imported into Document Management System?
Scanning functionality is part of the basic function of the Document Management System application. You can scan one or more documents, name the file and save it to a particular client folder within Document Management System.
I already have a paperless process I created. Why should I buy Document Management System?
Integration with Lacerte Tax makes storing tax returns and plans nearly effortless.
Can I search for keywords in the file name and in the document itself?
Yes, you can search for documents by name, date, size and category. However, you cannot search the text of the document itself.
What is the advantage of using Document Management System over printing to PDF?
There are several advantages:
- Automation — Document Management System allows you to associate files and documents with specific client folders. Also, with Document Management System, you can automatically import all clients from Lacerte tax programs into Document Management System all at once. This eliminates having to set up each client's folder and subfolders. We provide you with the ability to configure a folder template that can be applied to each client that is added to Document Management System, making it easy to create a consistent folder structure that you control. If you need to add or remove a particular folder or subfolder at a later time, you have the option to add or remove folders and subfolders for one client or all clients.
- Security — Document Management System has several security features to help protect your documents. You can enable or restrict each user's rights to do things like delete or edit documents, delete clients, etc. You can also password-protect client folders or even specific PDF files in Document Management System.
- Categories and Filters — Document Management System lets you create custom categories for clients and documents (such as completed, in process, etc.). You can set up filters for clients that let you view only the clients you want. And when you search for documents, you can tell Document Management System to only look for documents in certain categories, which makes finding the right document a lot faster.
Is there an option for backing up the Document Management System data?
Yes. Document Management System includes backup capabilities. You can back up Document Management System data to any accessible drive on your local network drives.
Can two users access the same document at the same time?
Yes, the first user that accesses the document will have full edit capabilities while the second user will have read-only access.
How many years going back can I save tax returns?
2002 to current Lacerte Tax versions can print to the Document Management System PDF printer. For earlier versions of Lacerte, you can still print directly to Document Management System by using the Document Management System Print driver instead of choosing a physical printer. This would need to be done for every return you want to send to Document Management System.
Can I use email programs other than Outlook?
Document Management System works with most email programs that are MAPI-compliant, such as: Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Exchange, Hotmail, Groupwise 5.0, AOL 7.0 and AOL 8.0. These email programs are not MAPI-compliant and will not work with the email feature in Document Management System: AOL 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, Yahoo! mail and some other Web-based email. However, you can always simply export a document from Document Management System and email it with any program you wish.
Can I use Explorer to browse for documents stored in Document Management System?
Document Management System stores documents in a database that can only be accessed via the Document Management System application. This provides higher security by allowing you to password protect your database or client folders. However, Document Management System allows you to export folders and documents from the database so that you can do things like take client files home or on the road or burn files to a CD.